Kenya Citizenship – Article 14(1), (2) And (5) of the Constitution
The Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act 2011 which implements Chapter 3 of the Constitution commenced on 30th August 2011 and effectively repealed the Kenya Citizenship Act Cap 170, The Immigration Act Cap. 172 and the Aliens Restriction Act Cap 173, Law of Kenya.
Below is a clarification of Constitutional Provisions relating to Citizenship
- A person born of a Kenyan parent irrespective of the place of birth automatically becomes a citizen of Kenya by birth.
- The constitution confers automatic recognition to persons holding citizenship of other countries as citizens of Kenya by birth so long as they are able to prove parentage as fore stated (National identification cards, passports).
- Kenya citizens by birth who wish to hold citizenship of other countries which do not allow dual citizenship may voluntary renounce and would be entitled upon application to regain their Kenyan citizenship.
- Kenya citizens by birth who ceased to be citizens of Kenya by voluntarily acquiring the citizenship of other countries and renouncing the citizenship of Kenya in accordance with the repealed Constitution may regain citizenship UPON APPLICATION in the prescribed manner below.
- The persons who enjoyed dual citizenship but who by virtue of the repealed Constitution renounced or lost their Kenyan citizenship upon attainment of the age of Twenty Three (23) years should automatically be deemed citizenship by birth.
REGAINING KENYAN CITIZENSHIP
A citizen by birth who acquired citizenship of another country, and renounced the Kenyan citizenship may apply to regain citizenship. For more information on the application procedure visit the Kenya Department of Immigration Services Website
DECLARATION OF DUAL CITIZENSHIP
A dual citizen is required to disclose her/his other citizenship within three months of becoming a dual citizen
- Declaration form duly completed Form 2
- Copy of valid Kenyan Passport.
- Copy of valid Kenyan National I.D and / or Kenyan Birth Certificate.
- Original Naturalization Certificate of the other country
- Fee of € 30 for translation of the Naturalization certificate into English. For Payment Click here
- Copy of Italian passport if any
- One passport size picture. (NB: Most current picture taken maximum within the last one month.)